Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Relections on a Monday

So this week, cause of some scheduling snafus, we had class on Monday as well as the Friday on the schedule, which was a bit crunchy, but since we got to hang out in the Brandon Center, I think it was passable :)

Speaking of which, I can't wait for it to open for a few reasons. Most of those don't have to do with the fabulous technology or pretty colors, but for those things I think are most important for grad students to have - access to a refrigerator, a place to eat lunch with classmates, and mini lockers. I don't know how accessible those might be in the future, but seeing them gives me hope. While we all seem to hunker down in our normal classroom, I imagine that will be less possible once school starts, so I am looking forward to having a place where I can rest and run into people i ways that seem natural in the summer, but will likely be less common in the fall.

Does anyone have any knowledge about how accessible the BC will be to everyone (aka ed students)

I <3 librarians

Seriously, I think this might be one of the best lessons we could have gotten all year - librarians are resources at your school who should be used. They are there to help YOU and YOUR STUDENTS and for the love of Pete, they usually like to do their job, so feel free to utilize them. It was interesting to work with someone who actually had training in putting together a lesson plan, and a bit frustrating because we haven't had any experience in that yet, so it was hard to parse things out since we didn't really have definitions for what those parts were in our heads yet.

3 comments:

  1. I am in complete agreement with you about the librarians. I must admit, before class on Monday I really only thought of librarians as older people who love to read and can find their way around a library (a stereotypical view, I know). Needless to say, my views have done a complete turnaround. I can now see myself using librarians as a key resource when I begin planning my own lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the Brandon Center doesn't formally open until September. We got a sneak peek, but they don't fully get running until fall. And I hear there's free coffee for the first year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FREE COFFEE?! I have a feeling we will be there as often as they let us if that's the case!

    Like you, Ninja, I would love to use the space for lunches and building our professional relationships with each other. The space is so open and welcoming and conducive to conversations...I really hope it is available to us a good amount.

    ReplyDelete